Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Review - Faefever by Karen Marie Moning

Faefever
Fever series, Book 3
Karen Marie Moning
Delacorte Press
September 16, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-385-34163-9

Book blurb:
He calls me his Queen of the Night. I'd die for him. I'd kill for him, too. When MacKayla Lane receives a torn page from her dead sister's journal, she is stunned by Alina's desperate words. And now MacKayla knows that her sister's killer is close. But evil is closer. And suddenly the sidhe-seer is on the hunt: For answers. For revenge. And for an ancient book of dark magic so evil, it corrupts anyone who touches it.

Mac's quest for the Sinsar Dubh takes her into the mean, shape-shifting streets of Dublin, with a suspicious cop on her tail. Forced into a dangerous triangle of alliance with V'lane, an insatiable Fae prince of lethally erotic tastes, and Jericho Barrons, a man of primal desires and untold secrets, Mac is soon locked in a battle for her body, mind, and soul.

As All Hallows Eve approaches and the city descends into chaos, as a shocking truth about the Dark Book is uncovered, not even Mac can prevent a deadly race of immortals from shattering the walls between worlds with devastating consequences.

My thoughts:
MacKayla Lane left her safe southern home and flew to Dublin, Ireland, to pack-up her sister’s belongings and find closure after her sister’s senseless death. What she finds soon after she arrives is a dark and deadly world so unlike the world she’s known all of her life. She’s a sidhe-seer and much to her horror she can see the true forms of the Fae who are calling Dublin home. Mac can also sense Hallows, the Fae’s artifacts that can protect or kill even their own. The Sinsar Dubh is a dark and powerful Hallow that everyone wants. V’Lane, a Seelie prince, and Jericho Barrons whose background is unknown to Mac, are both using her to find it. It’s a job that could very well end her life.

The wall that separates the human and Faery worlds is weakening, and their time to change its failing state is quickly running out. If the wall falls it will allow not only the Seelie Fae into the human world, but the imprisoned Unseelie Fae as well. With little more than the Spear of Luisne to protect her, Mac plans to fight to the end. The end may come sooner than she thinks.

This is the third book in the Fever series. Ms. Moning works her magic and gives readers a fast-moving and deeper glimpse into the Unseelie darkness. Memorable characters spin a web of deceit and temptation as the action grows more dark and dangerous than ever. Faefever is an action-packed edition to the series, and once you’ve begun it’s nearly impossible to set it down. There’s a surprising twist in the end that will have readers counting down to the next release.

To learn more about Faefever and the Fever series, please visit the author’s website: Here

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

4 comments:

Enchanted by Books said...

Great review!! :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Thanks Rachael...I really enjoy this series. :)

Wendy said...

Great review, Kimberly!

Rachael sent me the second book in the second, and I tried listening to the first book podcasts so I wouldn't be completely lost while reading the second one but I just couldn't finish it - I missed reading the words!

But I'm hoping I can read it soon because all I've heard are good things about this series. :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Thanks Wendy, I love how different this series is. :)

I had already read book 1, but tried listening to the podcast as well. I think that for me I already had my own vision of Mac in my head, and the voice didn't work with it. I do buy audio books for other people though, so I'm glad that they're doing them. I hope you get to start the series soon. :)