Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Queen of Dragons by Shana Abé


Queen of Dragons
Thief Series (Drákon), Book 3
Shana Abé
Bantam Books
December 26, 2007
ISBN# 978-0-553-80528-4

Kimber Langford, the Earl of Chasen, is the Alpha of their drákon tribe and does his best to ensure the safety of his people. The drákon are a race that has the gift to Turn, and while they live most of their lives as human they also have the ability to transform into smoke and dragon. Surprised to learn of the existence of a drákon princess, Maricara of the Zaharen, Kimber begins correspondence and offers help to the young drákon and her brother. Maricara denies needing help, and instead chooses to travel from Transylvania to England to deliver a message in person.

Upon her arrival, Maricara warns of the Others that are hunting the drákon. While Kimber finds the story hard to believe, he soon learns firsthand that what Maricara says is true as members of his own tribe have disappeared. In the face of impending battle, they must find a way to join together and save the drákon race from their enemy. For Kimber, he will also try to prove to the princess that his interest in her runs much deeper than she believes. Until he does, there is little hope that she’ll remain where he wants her, right by his side.

Queen of Dragons is the third book in the drákon Thief Series. While having been married and widowed at a very early age, Maricara’s youth shines through in her free spirit. Kimber wants to tame her for himself, but he’s about to find that this fiery female dragon won’t be caught until she’s ready. Ms. Abé has created a splendid fantasy world and led readers through a tension filled journey. As her dragons live and love, the threat of discovery forces the drákon into a fight for survival. In order to really enjoy this story, it would be best if readers had a better understanding of the background and started the series by reading The Smoke Thief and The Dream Thief beforehand.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

9 comments:

T.C. Robson said...

Like you said, I'm sure it would make more sense and prove to be more fulfilling if the first books are read. But it does seem to have an interesting and unusual plot.

Kimberly Swan said...

I read the second book, The Dream Thief, without having read The Smoke Thief, but reading Queen of Dragons I can see how much better the story is when you've gotten to know the characters and their background. It's really an imaginative dragon series. :)

Enchanted by Books said...

I have the other books on my wishlist for a while. I didnt even know this book was part of that series, thanks for saying so. Great review. You always point out all the important things like reading them in order. :)

Check out my blog, updates! :)

Kimberly Swan said...

You wouldn't be completely lost by not reading the first two books, but it will greatly enhance Queen of Dragons by having read them. I'm glad that helps. :)

I'll check it out!

Carolyn Crane said...

This sounds like an interesting series. And I second Rachel - I like to know when it's best to start at the beginning, though I usually try to.

I love the dragon idea.

Kimberly Swan said...

Carolyn Jean - Thanks for stopping by! Her dragons are a bit different than others I've read, so it keeps it very interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading the Queen of Dragons and I didn't realise it was apart of a series until I reached the end haha. So are there more nooks after this one already out or are the yet to be written

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading the Queen of Dragons and I didn't realise it was apart of a series until I reached the end haha. So are there more nooks after this one already out or are the yet to be written

Kimberly Swan said...

I thought originally that it was called the Thief Trilogy, but now I see Thief Series or Drákon Series, so maybe there will be more, but Queen of Dragons is definitely the most recent release. :)