Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Witch Child by Celia Rees


Witch Child
Celia Rees
Candlewick Press
July 13, 2001 (1st Candlewick Press printing)
ISBN# 978-0-7636-1421-8

Growing up with her grandmother in a small cottage near the forest was the only home Mary had ever known. When her grandmother is accused of witchcraft in 1659, Mary Newbury sees the reality of her future reflected in the last glimpse of her grandmother being taken to her death. A woman steps in and takes Mary away, preparing her for a journey with the Puritans to the New World. Her fare has been paid, and a box packed to give her a start, but otherwise fourteen-year-old Mary is on her own.

Arriving from England, Mary follows the others when they choose to travel deeper into the woods to find the family and friends of many of the other ship passengers. Despite the friendships she has made, it’s not long before Mary finds herself being accused of witchery. While it’s true that she’s a witch, young Mary has done nothing to draw attention, but once the first accusation is hurled her way there is little that can stop the inevitable outcome.

Witch Child is the story of a young girl who, despite her best efforts to fit in, finds herself in the deadly position of being labeled a witch. Ms. Rees tells this story in a very creative way, as pages from a personal journal hidden away in a quilt. This is a journey filled with emotion, and the author makes her fictional world easy to visualize. Wonderful young adult read.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'd like to pick this book up. Okay, it's time for me to aske, out of the last month, what are your top 3 book recommendations?

Kimberly Swan said...

There is a paperback version of it, and I would love to hear what you think of the way it was written. Personally, I thought it made it that much more appealing, especially for younger readers.

Alright, top 3 so far this month: Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs, Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn & One Bite Stand by Nina Bangs. How about you SCooper, what are some of your recent favorites? :)

T.C. Robson said...

Oh, wow. Very deep one, it seems. I may be looking into this one. Excellent review!

Wendy said...

I think I read this book way back in middle school, it sounds familiar. It was probably one of the first ones I ever read. It sounds lovely, I just don't remember it very well.

Kimberly Swan said...

T.C. - The story is a familiar one for those times, very sad really, but it's written as a nice, easy read. Thank you. :)

Wendy - Way to make me feel old! *grin* I bet you really liked it when you read it, especially being in the same age group as Mary at that time, it would have made even more of an impact.

Wendy said...

Kimberly - lol! that wasn't my intention at all. I do remember liking it and I'm sure it made an impact on me, especially at that age when teenagers try to get to know themselves. Or something. *g*

Kimberly Swan said...

I know, but I couldn't resist saying it. lol When I was in my early teens I never came across books like this. :( I was already reading Stephen King by then, so I'm just now seeing what I missed. (not such a bad thing, just a little later than most...lol)

Anonymous said...

Evermore by Lynn Viehl
Midnight Awakening by Lara Adrian
The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

I just got Ilona's newest book today, and I already know that I'm gonna love it.

Kimberly Swan said...

Ilona Andrews, Magic Burns?

Wendy said...

You reminded me that you've read Iron Kissed so I just had to make you feel old! lol.

And when Cooper gets Magic Burn, I'll hate her, too.

Damn you people! (just kidding...mostly heh)

Kimberly Swan said...

There's less than 2 weeks before Iron Kissed releases! :)

Wow, that was really mean of SCooper to drop that on us, huh? lol

If nothing else, at least we're providing you with a place to vent your anger. *snicker*

Wendy said...

It's still two weeks! okay, I'm not going to whine, I've been waiting for months so two weeks is awesome.

It definitely is, I think she's trying to make me want to cry! lol.

Yeah! this is my place to vent about the unfairness of you getting to read all the books I want in advance. *sniff*

Kimberly Swan said...

It's great looking forward to it though, right? I have a few authors that I practically count down the days for their yearly release. :)

Nah, she's just excited.

Speaking of excited...I saw you got a goodie box of books yourself! So do tell, what are you reading now?

Wendy said...

It definitely is. :)

i did! I'm reading Unlucky by Jana Deleon, so far it's really good!

Kimberly Swan said...

It sounded like a good read, hope it turns out as well as it started for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Def. Magic Burns. I can't wait to get the next book in the series.

Kimberly Swan said...

SCooper...you know I'm being really good and not asking for hints for what to expect! lol