Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu


The Iron Hunt
Hunter Kiss, Book 1
Marjorie M. Liu
Ace
June 24, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-441-01606-8

Maxine Kiss is a demon hunter and the last of her kind. Her body is covered in tattoos that provide her with armor during the day, but when the sun sets the demons she wears on her skin separate and become living creatures. Bound to protect and fight by her side, they’ll be together until the day that Maxine passes them on with her death. For now they’re the closest thing to family that she’s ever known.

Grant, a former priest who runs a homeless shelter, is Maxine’s boyfriend. While that’s something she never thought she’d have, their relationship is as close as she’s come to trust with someone other than the ‘boys’. Grant also has a supernatural talent of his own, one that’s powerful enough to offer some protection from the demons.

The Veil has weakened through the years, and something new has been freed from the prison to walk the earth. Humans made zombie by the demons using their skin are fairly common to see, but an entity wearing a familiar face has appeared and it’s unlike anything Maxine was prepared for. Angry after so long imprisoned, the avatar has plans to regain what was taken from her and to take so much more. Maxine’s job is to prevent that from happening at nearly any cost.

This is the first novel in the Hunter Kiss series, but there is a prequel with the series name in Wild Thing, a Berkley anthology, and this may explain a slightly disorienting feeling at the beginning of the story. Ms. Liu does a lovely job in getting readers up to speed and preparing us for the high-speed action in her demon filled adventure. A creative and well-written storyline provides a strong backbone for this new urban fantasy series, and the unique characters in The Iron Hunt will charm, tempt and surprise readers into coming back for more.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

10 comments:

Harry Markov said...

Nice review. I am now officially updated on what I missed with your blog and well this is my prrof. Heh :) Anyways this book has a totally cool concept although the power of tattoes coming to life has been done ina movie. Elektra I think, but still it's a fresh idea to cultivate.

Kimberly Swan said...

Thank you, I'm glad you've come back to visit and see what's new. :) I think it's a great start to her series. Some of the other characters are very unique and intriguing (in a dark and dangerous way), so I'm hoping we'll learn more about them in future books.

Harry Markov said...

You are on my blogroll. Returning to anyone there is unevitable. ;) Besides you get some of the coolest books around. It's always a pleasure.

Anyways I am happy that series exist that do not involve vampires. I am getting an allergic reaction from all the attention towards them. Even though I like them, I always look for the different.

Anonymous said...

Aahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I officially hate you.....Okay, I'm over it. Geez-Louise you have a way of pulling that thought out of me. *grin* I just found this two weeks ago on Amazon and added it to my wish list.

Wendy said...

This one is on TBB list, the premise sounds really interesting so I'm looking forward to reading it. Great review, Kimberly! :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Thank you Harry. :) There's definitely getting to be more demons, zombies and others to be read. *grin*

SCooper - I had to check the name on that comment...thought for sure it was Wendy...lol It was a wonderful surprise when it came to me for review and I think the series will be a very enjoyable one. :)

Wendy - It is very interesting and I think you'll enjoy how creatively written it is. Thank you! :)

Christine said...

Hi Kimberly!
I have The Iron Hunt on my wish list. The premise sounds so unique. (I obviously didn't see the movie daydream saw! lol). Thanks for the heads up about the prequel in the anthology, too! I actually own Wild Thing but have only read Meljean Brook's short so didn't even know what Liu's contribution was! I'll definitely read it before I get The Iron Hunt!

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi Christine - I haven't seen the movie either, but I can see where this book would make an interesting movie. :)
Wow, that was good luck for you! I'll have to pick up a copy of it sometime because I'd love to know if she met Grant in that story. She does a great job of filling readers in on the important points of Maxine's background, so no worries for anyone else starting with The Iron Hunt.

Enchanted by Books said...

Wow I love the concept of this book! How cool!! :) Great review.

Kimberly Swan said...

Another to add to your list Rachael! *grin* Thanks! :)