Monday, February 11, 2008

Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready


Wicked Game
Jeri Smith-Ready
Pocket Books
May 13, 2008
ISBN# 978-1-4165-5176-8

Ciara Griffon hasn’t led the easiest life, and much of it was spent running cons. When she’s offered a job at a local radio station, WMMP, Ciara’s encouraged to put an end to her less than legal ways and become part of the team. The station is in jeopardy of being sold to Skywave, a company that will take away the individual tastes of the DJ’s and turn WMMP into a clone like the other stations they operate.

Coming up with a gimmick is Ciara’s specialty and it’s not long before she has the idea of announcing that their DJs are vampires. After all, it isn’t like the general population would believe it’s true, even if it is. It’s an idea the public loves, and as the new WVMP launches its campaign the advertising income that the station so desperately needs finally begins to roll in. While she’s accepted by the station’s vampires as a whole, it’s Shane who has captured her attention, but there’s little time to pursue a romance with trouble brewing. Someone is sabotaging the station’s plans and it doesn’t appear to be Control, the group who keeps the vampire community in line. Before the station’s special staff will be safe they’ll have to discover who’s behind the danger, and how Ciara fits into their plans.

Wicked Game is an urban fantasy read with a unique twist on vampires. Ciara grew up with parents who ran a con until their luck ran out and left their teenage daughter to fend for herself. Now Ciara is trying to make a break from that life, attend school, and hold down a legitimate job before her checkered past ends up consuming her. Ms. Smith-Ready weaves an imaginative tale that adds new dimension and limitations on the otherwise long-lived lives of vampires. The characters odd lifestyles and compulsive behaviors lend a realistic quality that’s charming in some cases and downright funny in others. This is a fun escape in a world that readers will look forward to visiting again.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I really liked Jeri's twist to the vampires in the book. :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Me too, it was a very creative way to set hers apart from much of the rest. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for my copy. I thought I'd requested one.

Kimberly Swan said...

You really should write her an email then, she's super nice. :)

Anonymous said...

I needed to come back and post an update to my comment. I looked in my sent box and found nothing to the author. I must have thought about sending it and marked it off of my list as sent, when in all reality, I never did.

Since my post though, Ms. Smith-Ready emailed me and generously offered to send my an ARC. I didn't want her or Pocket to look bad (and I have a 'thing' about fessing up to mistakes) so I decided to do a tell all. I Messed Up.

Thanks.

Kimberly Swan said...

Hey SCooper - That makes sense, because she's just too nice to have ignored your request. Very cool of you to let everyone know what happened, hope you enjoy Wicked Game! :)