Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fallen by Erin McCarthy


Fallen
Seven Deadly Sins, Book 2
Erin McCarthy
Jove
April 29, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-515-14462-8

Given the task of watching over humans, the angel Gabriel is overwhelmed. When he falls into addiction and the woman he cares for is murdered, he’s punished for his sins and becomes one of the ‘fallen’, a demon. Bound to the city of New Orleans for the past 150 years, Gabriel has sobered up and is now looking for answers to the mystery of Anne Donovan’s death.

Sara Michaels has lost her mother in a brutal unsolved murder, and the man accused, her mother’s boyfriend Dr. Rafe Marino, has just been acquitted. Sara has always felt he was innocent, but she failed to stand by him through the trial while her grief turned her life upside down and sent her into addiction.

Gabriel has followed the news from Florida on the murder of Jessie Michaels, and contacts Sara to collaborate on a book showing the bizarre similarities between the deaths. With Sara’s forensics background she may be able to help solve Anne’s murder and finally release Gabriel from his self-imposed torture.

Both keeping secrets, some much bigger than others, Gabriel and Sara set out to examine every piece of testimony and evidence they can find. Their working arrangement brings them closer together, but if they cross the wrong line it could destroy them both.

Fallen is the second book in the Seven Deadly Sins series. Gabriel and Sara are engaging characters with interesting backgrounds, but both characters retain secrets throughout much of the story. Ms. McCarthy leads readers in a murder mystery that twists and turns its way to a surprising climax. With a sizzling chemistry that turns steamy, and the immortal ‘fallen’ to add a taste of the paranormal, readers should be entertained by this suspenseful tale.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the first sentence I thought oh no, I'm not reading a retell about religious people. But then I read more and it became clear this is something totally different. I think I want to read this, but I'm not committed to it like a Michelle Sagara book.

Kimberly Swan said...

No worries, it's definitely not what you feared. This is the second in the series, but it's a stand-alone. The one thing I will say is that this has a more serious tone than the Vegas Vampire series. I don't think I've read anything by Michelle Sagara. :(

Anonymous said...

You haven't read the Cast series? Oh man, are you missing out. I must say I think it's my all time favorite series.

Kimberly Swan said...

Even reading pretty much non-stop, I still miss so much! :(

Enchanted by Books said...

I love Erin McCarthy's Vegas Vampire books. I have this book to review in my pile. It does sound alot different then her other books. I hope I like!

Kimberly Swan said...

You won't find her usual lighthearted humor in this book, but I think you'll still enjoy it. :)