Monday, April 21, 2008

From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris


From Dead to Worse
Southern Vampire Series, Book 8
Charlaine Harris
Ace
May 6, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-441-01589-4

In the town of Bon Temps, Louisiana, Sookie Stackhouse waits tables at Merlotte’s, a local bar owned by her shapeshifter boss and friend, Sam. She lives life the best that she can with a telepathic gift that she’s not always happy to have. Last month she survived a life claiming explosion at the vampire summit, and Sookie is trying harder than ever to get her life back on track. With her ties to both the vampire and werewolf communities leading an uneventful life is next to impossible.

Sophie Anne’s rule over the Louisiana vampires has been further hindered by her extreme injuries sustained from the explosion, and someone sees this as their chance to make a change. Meanwhile, Sookie’s weretiger boyfriend, Quinn, hasn’t contacted her since just after the explosion and Sookie is growing more concerned each day.

Tempers rise in the werewolf community, and the vampires find themselves in turmoil that takes them by surprise. As power becomes the main objective Sookie will once again discover she’s surrounded by supernatural battles, but in the midst of it all she’ll meet an unexpected visitor who has special significance in her life.

In this eighth full-length installment of the Southern Vampire Series, Sookie’s loyalties to her friends and family will be tested and she’ll continue the struggle to piece together the puzzle of her life. With supernatural action that never slows, Ms. Harris takes readers on a new thrill ride filled to the brim with fabulous detail, characters that will charm their way into your heart, and the magic of never knowing what might come next. Tension filled, and laced with romantic possibilities, From Dead to Worse advances the storyline as it ties up loose ends and opens new doors. This series is a must read for fans of urban fantasy and should be read from the beginning.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

14 comments:

Wendy said...

Oooh, nice review! Can't wait to read this one, I'm a huge fan of Souther Vampires Series. :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Thanks Wendy...you don't want to miss it! :)

Vendetta said...

Ooh, I wish I could read this book! Unfortunately at the moment I'm nowhere near where it's being sold, and I can't buy it online right now either. :(

I mope greatly over my inability to sink my claws into one of Charlaine's great books.

Kimberly Swan said...

I'd be moping as well. :( Hope you're able to be somewhere that you can pick it up soon Alyssa. This is one of those series where I devour the book the minute I get it, and then when there's a little free time I read through it again. :)

Vendetta said...

OMG, me too! I re-read my favorite moments from the favorite books, like Southern Vamp series!

Kimberly Swan said...

It's amazing how much more you get out of a book the second time around too. :)

Vendetta said...

Lol, yeah.

Who's your favorite "guy" character in the S.V. series? I personally hope Sookie will finally end up with Eric. Though Quinn isn't bad either, Eric just adds the edge-n-spice element to the whole romance thing going on in S.V. books.

When I was reading "Dead to the world" I just KNEW it would end the way it ended! I felt all angsty in advance. ^o^

Kimberly Swan said...

My first pick would be Eric as well. While Sookie has some powerful friends, she's made some powerful enemies as well. Then again, who knows who she'll meet in upcoming books. :)

Unknown said...

Another great Sookie installment! I loved this book and it is being lent out to all my friends who I managed to get hooked on this series!

Vendetta said...

I agree. I also hope that in the upcoming "True Blood" TV series they won't pick all the wrong actors, especially for the Eric character. He's got to be a walking, talking glory or I, along with other chick fans, will be really disappointed. Lol.

Don't you just dread it when they start making TV shows by our favorite books?

Kimberly Swan said...

Last I saw it was supposed to be Alexander Skarsgard as Eric.

Some of the TV/Cable series they do of them are good, it's just hard not to be watching for everthing they change about the stories you enjoy.

Kimberly Swan said...

Amberkatze - How can they stand not having their own set of books!? lol This is a series that will always have space on my bookshelves. :)

Unknown said...

Some of them are waiting for th German version because they started reading the series in that language. The German translation of most books takes about 6 months...

Kimberly Swan said...

Ahha! I actually got a friend in Germany hooked on this series as well (she had run out of werewolf reads and wanted something new). I guess 6 months is a bit like torture for them. :(