Friday, April 25, 2008

Grimspace by Ann Aguirre


Grimspace
Ann Aguirre
Ace
February 26, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-441-01599-3

The only survivor of the Matins IV crash, Sirantha Jax has been isolated by her employer and forced to undergo psychological torture disguised as treatments to mend her. Born with the J-gene that allows her to act as a Jumper, Jax has the ability to work with a pilot and move a ship through grimspace. While most Jumpers would have died from the number of jumps Jax has completed, her continued strength has captured the notice of a group who has plans of their own where her future is concerned. If Jax can train their engineered Jumpers they can break-down the control that the Farwan Corporation holds.

March arrives and offers to free Jax with the condition that she do as they ask, and use her talent to help them stand against the Corp. It’s clear to Jax that March has shadows of his own that he holds deep inside, but with their roles as Pilot and Jumper their relationship must be close and trusting. The Corp won’t easily allow Jax to walk away, so the tentative connection she forges with March could be all that enables her to survive.

In this science fiction tale, Ms. Aguirre blends a creative adventure with a thorny romance and takes readers on a fast-moving ride through space. With a fascinating concept in space travel, and the unique characters that make it possible, Grimspace is well-imagined and very entertaining. The sequel, Wanderlust, is currently scheduled as an August 2008 release.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

9 comments:

Angiegirl said...

This is one of the best books I've read this year. I loved Jax and March.

Enchanted by Books said...

Great review. I have this in my pile to read when I finish all my other books to review. Wendy gave it to me. She loved it too I believe.

Wendy said...

Like Rachael said, I loved(!) this one. It was fabulous, the blend of sci-fi with just the right amount of romance. :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Angie - I really enjoyed this as well, and everyone I've talked to has said the same. :)

Rachael - Very nice that Wendy shared it with you. Hope you're review pile is shrinking. *grin*

Wendy - I'm not always an easy fan of sci-fi reads, but I'm definitely looking forward to the next one too. :)

Robert said...

I've been seeing some mixed results about this book. Some people really enjoy it; others not so much. I'm not sure if I'll have time to get around to it, so thanks for the review!

Kimberly Swan said...

While I watch sci-fi, I don't read a whole lot of it, and yet I really enjoyed this. I think it had a lot to do with the connection between Jumper and Pilot (Jax and March) drawing me into the story....that psychic element is something you usually find in urban fantasy or paranormal. :)

Harry Markov said...

Nice blog! I am a great fan of Urban Fantasy so I think I am gonan stay here a lot.

I am curious though about these Jumpers. They teleport right? Because I watched a movie with haiden Christensen called Jumper and I know that there is fiction covering these Jumpers. Now is Ann Aguirre the one, who created Jumpers or is she an author using them as characters?

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi there! Thank you, glad you could stop by. :)

That's a movie I still have to see. In 'Grimspace' the author has added her own spin on 'Jumping' to fit her storyline. The Jumpers psychically join with the Pilots to navigate through grimspace. :)

Harry Markov said...

Good, because I am certain that a man wrote the Jumper story that was filled. The movie is interesting to see, not the best thing ever filmed, but the cinematics are spectacular.

PS: My pleasure. We review bloggers gotta stick together.