Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake


Nightwalker
Dark Days, Book 1
Jocelynn Drake
Harper
July 29, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-06-163269-3

From the Author’s Site:
For centuries Mira has been a nightwalker – an unstoppable enforcer for a mysterious organization that manipulates earth-shaking events from the darkest shadows. But elemental mastery over fired sets her apart from others of her night-prowling breed…and may be all that prevents her doom.
-
The foe she now faces is human: the vampire hunter called Danaus, who has already destroyed so many undead. For Mira, the time has come to hunt…or be hunted.
-
But in a dimension just beyond the world's boundaries, a banished race stirs dangerously, hungry for power, for domination, for vengeance. Already a protective seal has been breached: already blood flows like a river through the world's great cities.
-
And only the collaboration of two sworn enemies can save humankind...and its feral brethren.
-
My thoughts:
At 603 years old, Mira isn’t one of the Ancients, but she is something special among the nightwalkers. Turned over a decade, rather than the usual quick process, Mira is a First Blood. She remained with the Elder who sired her, Sadira and then with Jabari for centuries before finally leaving to make her way on her own. Now she has a territory to protect, Savannah, and with the ability to conjure fire she has a talent that her vampiric brethren don’t possess. While this ability lends her a degree of protection, it also draws attention from those who fear her and those who’d like to use her gift for their own purpose. Mira’s about to meet her latest admirer, Danaus, a hunter who appears to be just a tad bit obsessed.

Danaus is a member of Themis, an organization intent on wiping out the nightwalkers. His search and intention to destroy Mira must take a backseat to a more pressing problem. The naturi, the Sidhe who were once banished, are attempting to return and help is needed to stop them from breaking through. An association with Mira, the Fire Starter, could possibly be their best hope. Calling a temporary truce from killing each other, Danaus and Mira will be forced to put their enemy status to the side and work closely to rebuild the ancient union that once sealed the naturi away.

Nightwalker is the first in the Dark Days series and a fabulous start for the author’s debut. Mira is a strong heroine and initially she’s a bit brash, but her years as a nightwalker haven’t completely taken away her humanity and as the story goes on most readers will begin to warm up to her. Danaus has more of a quiet strength, even if he is quite deadly, and I couldn’t help liking him from the time he introduced himself. Nightwalker is an enjoyable read, and an exceptional debut novel. Ms. Drake has created an intriguing world of supernatural beings and added threads of mystery, action and vampire politics to tie the past to the present. I’ll be watching for the next in the Dark Days series.

Visit Ms. Drake and learn more about Nightwalker and the Dark Days series: Here

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

12 comments:

Wendy said...

I want to read this one! I've never read anything by Drake but Nightwalker sounds good so I'll add it to my Must Get list. Great review! :)

Unknown said...

I actually won an ARC of this but it hasn't arrived yet!

This is another of those books that has had the release date pushed back to October here in Europe!

Kimberly Swan said...

Wendy - It's her debut from what I can tell, and definitely worth the read. thanks! :)

Amber - Don't you just love the mail...doesn't matter where you live, it takes forever! :(

I know that is driving you nuts, but it's awesome that you'll have the opportunity to read this months before anyone around you will. :)

ChariDee said...

Oh man, I LOVE debut authors. Off to check out the author! This one sounds really good.

Kimberly Swan said...

ChariDee - It's just wonderful to have so many to choose from! Hope you get a chance to pick up a copy. :)

ChariDee said...

Kimberly! I enjoyed the book I won VERY much! I'm planning on reviewing it soon. I'm running a week long contest right now of another author you reviewed, and when it's over, or maybe before because I LOVE Glory, I'll review the book I got in the mail from Darque Reviews~! Thanks Again woman, and maybe one day you'll be reviewing one of mine!

Kimberly Swan said...

That's great, I just love Glory too. I think it's because she's got so many issues that are just too funny not to laugh at. I'll stop by to say hi, and get you listed in the sidebar. :)

Kimberly Swan said...

ChariDee - I forgot to say you're welcome, and I'm looking forward to seeing your review! :)

Enchanted by Books said...

Sounds great. I've heard alot about this book. I wanna read it too! :)

Kimberly Swan said...

You should check it out Rachael! There are basic vampire elements (or those we take as the norm) and she weaves in her own twists to make it very interesting. :)

Christine said...

Looking forward to this one, too! ;o)

Kimberly Swan said...

I really liked Danaus from the time he shows up, and Mira should grow on you. :)