Sunday, July 13, 2008

Underground by Kat Richardson



Underground
Greywalker, Book 3
Kat Richardson
ROC
August 5, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-451-46212-1

From the Publisher’s site:
Harper Blaine was your average small-time P.I. until she died—for two minutes. Now Harper is a Greywalker—walking the thin line between the living world and the paranormal realm. And she’s discovering that her new abilities are landing her all sorts of “strange” cases.
-
Pioneer Square’s homeless are turning up dead and mutilated, and zombies have been seen roaming the underground—the city buried beneath modern Seattle. When Harper’s friend Quinton believes he may be implicated in the deaths, he persuades her to investigate. But the killer is no mere murderer—it is a creature of ancient legend. And Harper must deal with both the living and the dead to stop the monster and its master…unless they stop her first.
-
My thoughts:
After surviving a brief brush with death, Harper Blaine found she came back with a gift. Now she can move through the Grey where ghosts and darker things exist, and sometimes the layers of time can be accessed. Her P.I. business, and her new talent with the Grey, brings her in contact with beings and entities she’s left little choice but to believe in.

The homeless are turning up dead and Harper’s friend, Quinton, has asked for her help in discovering the cause. He’s a pro when it comes to designing electronics to protect and defend, but even Quinton is at a disadvantage when it comes to something ancient who hungers at the whim of a master. With Harper’s ever evolving skill in the Grey, they may have a fighting chance to find the answers they need before the evil seeks other avenues to satisfy the hunger that consumes him.

Seattle’s Underground can be a very dangerous place, but tracking a killer through parts of the city that were buried after the city’s tragic fire could cost them their lives. If they can uncover the monster, they’ll still have to rely on the support of those who can banish their foe because there can be nothing left for his master to hold on to.

This is the third release in the Greywalker series, and the aspects of the Grey become deeper still as Harper Blaine leads readers to discover what lies beyond the norm. As Harper comes to accept and utilize the changes in her life, not everyone around her is as agreeable with her choices. It makes for some interesting friction and opens another door to possibilities. Ms. Richardson gives readers a paranormal murder mystery and provides all of the fast paced action it takes to solve it. Underground should easily satisfy urban fantasy readers, and includes a touch of romance to lighten some of those dark corners of Grey. The author provides just enough background to start the series at this point, but I would recommend starting with the first Greywalker book.

To read an excerpt from Underground, visit Ms. Richardson’s site: Here

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

12 comments:

Angiegirl said...

I'm in the middle of Poltergeist right now and am looking forward to this one. I like Harper and how refreshingly calm and unfussy she is.

Kimberly Swan said...

I've enjoyed all of them, and I know exactly what you're saying. She may not be comfortable with everything that's been thrown her way, but she's taking it in stride and not freaking out. Underground has a surprise in it that sure made me smile. :)

Angiegirl said...

Oooh. Now I'm dying to know. Does it involve Quinton? ;)

Kimberly Swan said...

It wouldn't be a surprise if I shared it...lol

Angiegirl said...

Sigh. I suppose not...

Kimberly Swan said...

You'll be happy I didn't tell you anything when you read it (unless someone else spills the beans in a review before then). :)

Enchanted by Books said...

I haven't read any of the books in this series yet but I always fondle them in the bookstore wanting to buy them. I'll have to try them when my never ending TBR pile gets shorter. Great review!

Kimberly Swan said...

Yes, you should keep an eye on them to pick up when you can. Thanks! :) How ARE you doing with that TBR pile?

Enchanted by Books said...

The TBR pile never decreases. LOL I have several more books coming now so it will be growing even more. But I have tons of great books in my pile so I am sure they will be fast reads. :)

Kimberly Swan said...

Nice to have such a tempting stack of books at least. Sometimes it's tough to choose where to start first. :)

Unknown said...

I loved this series and I am looking forward to another one!!! I hope this one arrives sooner rather than later...

Kimberly Swan said...

This one is definitely worth the wait Amber. Hope it gets there sooner for you! :)