Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs


Cry Wolf
Alpha and Omega, Book 1
Patricia Briggs
Ace
July 29, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-441-01615-0

From the Publisher’s site:
Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.
-
My thoughts:
After an attack that changed her into a werewolf, Anna was forced into the local pack and bullied into submission. She’s a rare Omega wolf who should be revered for what she can offer the pack, but her Alpha had other plans. She’s been cut off from her family and friends with the promise of their deaths should she contact them. Then Charles, the Marrock’s son, comes into her life, and the difficult life she has endured these last few years is about to change.

Charles Cornick can hardly believe that an Alpha would do to an Omega what was done to Anna. Abused into a position that didn’t suit her, Anna’s distrust of dominant males puts Charles in a situation where he must do his best to curb his instincts. He wants her for a mate, but he’ll have to convince her that she has no reason to fear him before she’ll ever let him close enough to form a strong relationship.

Asil lost his mate long ago when a young witch they took in and raised turned on them. On the edge of madness, and wanting to be put down, Asil is soothed by the new Omega’s presence. When a rogue wolf is thought to be roaming the surrounding area Charles is sent to investigate. The description stirs memories from Asil’s past, but it’s a mystery that must be solved quickly before the danger it represents can cause a countless number of deaths.

This is the first in Alpha and Omega, a spin-off of the Mercy Thompson series. Besides getting to know a few of Mercy’s friends in much more detail, Cry Wolf is a great start to this new werewolf series. Ms. Briggs is a fantastic storyteller who provides the kind of detail a reader needs to fully immerse themselves in a story. The action is filled with dangerous surprises and the romance will find a way into your heart. It’s always a pleasure to read a new tale from this talented author, so prepare yourself to add this to your list of favorites to follow.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hah!! I read this one before you!! ;)

I have to say I didn't enjoy this one as much as the Mercy Thompson books but I got the feeling that things will get alot better as the series progresses!

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi Amber - Such a smartie you are...lol

I have to say that I sat down with Cry Wolf thinking that it would 'tide me over' until the next Mercy release, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it as a separate series. We're several books in with Mercy, so maybe another book or two with Alpha and Omega will have you loving this as well. :)

Wendy said...

I read this one before ALL of you, mwhuahahah!

..what?

I LOVED it, too! :)

Angiegirl said...

Thanks for the review! I can tell I'm going to really love this one. I thought the original short story was awesome.

Kimberly Swan said...

Wendy - where'd that sweet girl go? lol

Angie - My pleasure! She seems to be an author we can rely on to write a really good story, which is wonderful. If you like the short story you should really love this too. :)

Angiegirl said...

I absolutely agree. I feel safe with Briggs. Although, I admit I was happy to hear Bone Crossed is a little lighter in tone. After the events leading up to the end of Iron Kissed...

Kimberly Swan said...

I haven't gotten to read anything about Bone Crossed yet. Do you know if there's more of the fae in it?

Angiegirl said...

I don't know. I did hear there was more of the vampires, though. Which is good as I'm curious to see where the Stefan friendship will go.

Kimberly Swan said...

I'd love to read more of Stefan too, I missed him in Iron Kissed.

Enchanted by Books said...

I love the cover for this one. Another fantastic review. I haven't read any of these yet unfortunately. I need to catch up on my series books! So many to read.

Kimberly Swan said...

Thanks Rachael...this is the first in the series, but you do meet some of the characters in the Mercy Thompson books. :)

Christine said...

I've just recently caught up in the Mercy Thompson Series (like... a week ago). I even read the short "Alpha and Omega" in the On the Prowl anthology. I cannot wait for Cry Wolf!!! Fortunately, I don't have too long to wait.

I'm also eagerly anticipating the next Mercy book. I really love this world and Briggs' storytelling style.

Thanks for the review!

Kimberly Swan said...

Bet that was pretty great getting to read one after the other! I love Mercy's books, and seeing some of those same characters in this series should be a lot of fun.

The next Mercy book, Bone Crossed, is scheduled for February so we've got a while to wait on that one.

My pleasure Christine, thanks for stopping by!