Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione


Pleasure Unbound
Demonica, Book 1
Larissa Ione
Forever
July 7, 2008
ISBN# 978-0-446-40103-6

From the Publisher’s site:
In a place where ecstasy can cost you your life . . .
-
She's a demon-slayer who hungers for sensual pleasure-but fears it will always be denied her. Until Tayla Mancuso lands in a hospital run by demons in disguise, and the head doctor, Eidolon, makes her body burn with unslakable desire. But to prove her ultimate loyalty to her peers, she must betray the surgeon who saved her life.
-
Two lovers will dare to risk all.
-
Eidolon cannot resist this fiery, dangerous woman who fills him with both rage and passion. Not only is she his avowed enemy, but she could very well be the hunter who has been preying upon his people. Torn between his need for the truth and his quest to find his perfect mate before a horrific transformation claims him forever, Eidolon will dare the unthinkable-and let Tayla possess him, body and soul . . .

My thoughts:
Tayla Mancuso witnessed the death of her mother at the hands of a demon and has commited her life to ridding the world of as many as she can. Working with The Aegis as a Guardian, Tayla and her partner, Janet, come up against a Cruentus demon. Janet loses her life and Tayla finds herself in Underground General Hospital, owned and operated by demons. It’s too bad she’s instantly attracted to her doctor, because while he’s definitely the most gorgeous demon she’s ever seen, he’s still the enemy.

Eidolon is a Seminus demon, an incubus nearing one hundread years old. He’s also an emergency room doctor at Underground General Hospital, a hospital he runs along with his brothers Shade and Wraith. With the end of his first century comes a change in his life that will force him into mating with any female he can, demon or human. A mate of his own could curb those urges and help him through his change with his sanity and the ability to continue his job as a doctor intact. Meeting someone like Tayla, who’s an enemy to all demons, was not what he had planned, but now walking away may not be a possibility.

The first in the Demonica series, Pleasure Unbound is an engaging read. Tayla is commited to her job, but something underhanded is going on in the ranks of the Aegis and it could cost her life. With the change coming on, Eidolon’s attraction to Tayla is not the best timing, but she’s about to find her life changing and he may be the only one who can keep her alive. Ms. Ione has created a dark fantasy world that’s filled with intriguing characters, entrancing suspense and fast-moving action. I enjoyed the uniqueness of each demon dependant on their parentage, loved the chemistry that sizzles between hero and heroine and was captivated by the black market mystery unfolding. Pleasure Unbound has found its spot on my keeper shelf and I’m looking forward to Shadow Lover adding more detail to the shadowy world of demon and vampire society. Book two is currently scheduled to release in March 2009.

To read an excerpt and learn more about Pleasure Unbound, visit Ms. Ione’s site: Here

Kimberly Swan, Darque Review

8 comments:

Enchanted by Books said...

My friend got a copy of this recently so I will definetely be reading it. Sounds so good and I am dying to try it!! Loved the review! :)

Kimberly Swan said...

I think she came up with a great storyline, and the demons are really irresistible. lol Thanks, hope you'll enjoy it too! :)

Unknown said...

I read this a few months ago. It didn't make me go wow but it was ok...it will be interesting to see how the story continues.

Kimberly Swan said...

I'm pretty cure that it was the first 'demon hospital' that I've read about, and I love when the authors come up with something new. I'm looking forward to Shade's tale as well. :)

Christine said...

I'm so glad to hear you loved this book as much as I did. It is by far my favorite paranormal romance that I've read this year... or maybe even in the last two years! Pleasure Unbound has earned a spot on my keeper shelf as well, and I can't wait to read the next Demonica novels!!

Kimberly Swan said...

Christine - I did. :) I thought it was well imagined, and I'm really looking forward to hearing more about the brothers!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this book. Period.

I'm not much of a person who reads books but I couldn't put this one down. I kept saying to myself after this chapter I'm going to bed, but next thing I know its passed 1 in the morning and I'm still reading it.

Over all this was the best book I've read by far. Even if I didnt read that many, yet.

Kimberly Swan said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well, and will hopefully enjoy the books to follow. :)