Thursday, September 11, 2008

Review - HBO - True Blood - Episode 2 - The First Taste

True Blood
The First Taste
Season 1, Episode 2
HBO
September 14, 2008
9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT
Other HBO playdates: Sept. 14 (10:30 p.m.), 16 (11:30 p.m.), 17 (10:00 p.m.), 18 (8:00 p.m.), 19 (midnight), 20 (10:45 p.m.) and 25 (9:00 p.m.)
HBO2 playdates: Sept. 15 (8:00 p.m.), 21 (3:00 p.m.) and 28 (5:00 p.m.)

Episode Blurb:
Bill returns Sookie’s favor by rescuing her from the Rattrays’ revenge, healing the wounded waitress with his own blood and leaving her with temporarily heightened senses. After being invited into Gran’s (Lois Smith) house for a “get-to-know-you” gathering with Jason and her family, Bill joins Sookie for a nocturnal sojourn. They end up at Bill’s dilapidated antebellum estate, where he fights off his primal vampire urges for the acquiescent Sookie. Later, Sookie’s desires get the better of her as she returns to Bill’s – and is greeted by a gaggle of his bloodthirsty vampire friends.

Written by Alan Ball; directed by Scott Winant.

My thoughts:
When the Rattrays make good on their promise to pay Sookie back for her interference, Bill finds her just in time to use his vampire blood to save her life. Sookie soon notices that her senses have been enhanced by the encounter, especially so where her sense of smell and taste are concerned.

Bill follows through with plans to visit Sookie’s home to meet her grandmother and they’re joined by Jason, who already has a dark opinion of vampires, and Tara, who’s there keeping an eye on her friend. A walk to end the evening has things heating up between Sookie and Bill, leaving them both a bit rattled.

A recent lover being murdered has done little to slow down Jason’s escapades and he moves on to a previous girlfriend for some stress relief. In the end his good time leaves him in a position that’s anything but under his control.

In this second episode of HBO’s True Blood series, Sookie learns more about vampires than she’s prepared to, Sam continues to hesitate in expressing his feelings towards her, and Bill gets an invitation into the Stackhouse home. The First Taste is another fast moving episode that’s filled with action, adult situations and a dose of humor. The series to date is entertaining as it blends the closeness of small town living with the fight by vampires to earn equal rights among the living. I’ll be looking forward to the third episode, Mine, that airs on the 21st.

Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews

8 comments:

jessewave said...

This series seems to get better as it moves along. What a terrific review.

Hey did I tell you how much I love the new 'header' on your blog. So elegant! A friend redesigned mine and I am so thrilled with the look - very professional. I must remember to thank her *g*

Kimberly Swan said...

It's different and such fun to watch. I have everyone I know hooked on it already. lol

Thank you, but I'm not so sure I'll keep it. Yours has wonderful eye candy. *sigh* Maybe I'll fire my designer and take yours on? *grin*

Wendy said...

Great review, Kimberly!

I didn't get to watch the whole thing because around 40 minutes in, it just stopped, even though it was for reviewing purposes. I don't get it but I'll wait until this one airs to try again.

I love me some Bill! Hehe, even though I don't like him anymore in the books and you know why!

Kimberly Swan said...

Thanks Wendy! :) Oh no, wonder why that happened.

I liked him better in the second episode, but I'm really liking Sam (for now). I think seeing the characters this way, and some of them having larger roles, will have us really seeing everyone differently. Let me know what you think when you get to see the whole thing. :)

Wendy said...

I don't know why it happened but I managed to catch the last 10 minutes or so this morning, yay!

The more I watch, the more I like it. And I'm so glad to say that so far there hasn't been anything to turn me off the show. I'm liking all the characters, especially Sookie! :)

I've been meaning to ask, did you watch Fringe??

Kimberly Swan said...

That's great, glad to hear you got it straightened out.

So you'll be checking out every episode as well. :)

I sure did...can't miss something that sounds interesting. I watch very little TV because there isn't too much that catches my eye, so I'm thrilled to see the new shows coming on. I'm guessing you watched it as well? *grin*

Anonymous said...

i noticed they were trying to insert a recurring "lesson" in True Blood's first episode, which is "Don't be prejudiced;" seemed a little out of place, but okay...

Kimberly Swan said...

It's definitely a part of the storyline on many levels, and I expect it will continue. Different, but not surprising in the small town atmosphere they've created. :)